Sunday, March 25, 2012

To the Emergency Room Again


Sunday, March 25, 2012
            Good afternoon 3:26 pm. So yesterday was a very bad day.  I woke up about 11:30am and got really dizzy. Once I got up out of bed it felt like my head was going to explode. It was much worse than my normal every day pain. It felt as if I was getting hit in the back and side of my head with a ice pick. My parents took me to Kaiser north er ( at 3:30pm) I was very pleased with the staff and I was took right to the back after checking in. The system is a lot different than Kaiser South but was very smooth and everyone was very nice. Once in the room I got a IV and the doctor walked right in. as soon as he started talking with me a ambulance came in with a lady no breathing. The doctor apologized that he had to leave and work with her. About 30 mins later he came back to finish the exam. He was very patient and listened to me explain everything. He even asked what meds worked for me. He put the orders in and in a few minutes later they were back with the meds. Usually in the past the meds they give work but this time the pain was 10+/10. To make a long story short the meds were not working. Over the time I was in the ER got a total of 6mg Dilaudid, 30mg toradol, 2mg zofran and 10 of decadron. I was also given another medication that I could not recall the name. It is very rare and used for nerve inflammation.  For most people this combo of drugs would knock them out. I slept for a little bit but the pain was not calming down. The staff was being very patient with me as the pain was not calming down. They were also unsure what to do as my condition is somewhat rare. I ended up with 2 bags of fluid. They cont to give me pain medicine and I finally has some relief after the final 2 of dulaudid. At about 11pm the doctor came in and explained that he had used up all his resources and they felt that there was nothing more that they could do to help the pain. The pain is originating from the “damaged nerves” and the only thing that is going to fix it is the stimulator placement. The er dr said that he could not get in contact with my neurosurgeon. We agreed that this was a ok plan and about 30 mins later I was discharged. While leaving I got very motion sick and nauseated on the way home. I feel that was caused from all the pain medications and not eating since sat around 1am (when I was at work). Today im doing better, I just feel really loopy from all the medication. I have to say the pain in my head is back to where it is any normal day.  I would like to thank the staff at Kaiser North for being so patient, caring and understanding. I would also like to thank my wife, family and friends for everything they have done for me- Also a big thanks to the few people for checking on me thorough out the day yesterday- that means a lot!! Sorry not everyone was told I was going to the ER L Hope everyone is having a great day and weekend!!

1 comment:

  1. Decadron!!! Lucky to have a great family around you. Hope you feel better buddy.

    ReplyDelete